Discovery Gaming Community
Rules of engagement - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Rules of engagement (/showthread.php?tid=69)

Pages: 1 2

Rules of engagement - f2k - 07-23-2005

Following the discussion regarding the Galactic Announcement, Ive had quite a brainstorm and a wee bit of soul-searching

First of all, Id like to apologize for my behaviour on that thread. I accused the Battleship Terror group of imposing they way of playing on my game, but Im slowly beginning to realize that Im trying to do the very same to them.

So, realizing that others have the same right to play pirates as I have to play trader, I began thinking about how we can accommodate all types of players.

This then, is my suggestion for the Rules of Engagement on the Discovery server.

1: Attacking freighters:
1.1: Freighters may be attacked given the following criteria:
1.1.1: The ship has fired upon you, or
1.1.2: The ship is not one of the following classes: any original freighters, Armoured Transporter, and
1.1.3: The ship has been given a warning, and
1.1.4: The ship has refused to pay a bounty consisting of 10% of the cargo, or
1.1.5: The ship has been warned, but refuses to acknowledge the given warnings.
1.2: Unless these criteria have been meet, the use of weapons against any freighter is strictly prohibited, except the use of cruise disrupters to prevent the escape of said freighter.
2: Attacking fighters:
2.1: Fighters may be attacked given the following criteria:
2.1.1: The ship has fired upon you, or
2.1.2: The ship has been given a warning, and
2.1.3: The ship is the same class as the attacker, or
2.1.4: The players are within 10 levels of each other.
2.2: Unless these criteria have been meet, the use of weapons against any fighter is strictly prohibited, except the use of cruise disrupters to prevent the escape of said fighter.
3: Attacking capital ships:
3.1: Capital ships may be attacked given the following criteria:
3.1.1: The ship has fired upon you, or
3.1.2: The ship has been given a warning.
3.2: Unless these criteria have been meet, the use of weapons against any capital ship is strictly prohibited, except the use of cruise disrupters to prevent the escape of said capital ship.
4: Dueling:
4.1: A dual may take place if:
4.1.1: The number of participants is equal, and
4.1.1: The above criterias have been meet, or
4.1.2: The participants have agreed to dual.
4.2: An ongoing dual may be called off by any of the participants if:
4.2.1: One of the participants have been killed and do not wish to take part in further duelling, or
4.2.2: One of the participants wishes to withdraw from the fight.
4.2.2.1: If this happens, then the victor can demand compensation to the tune of 10% of the withdrawing players wealth, to be paid either by the drop of cargo or transfer of money. Only the current credit rating, not including the value of the ship or any onboard cargo, is used for the purpose of calculating the players current wealth.
4.3: If a dual has been called off, then the participants must be allowed to leave the system unscathed.
5: Regarding the Liberty systems:
5.1: The attack upon any ship is strictly prohibited within the Liberty systems. Players are encouraged to take their fight elsewhere.

Rules of engagement - xit - 07-23-2005

Actually sounds fair. :)
And I should also apologize, I too didn't like that the Battleship Terror tried to force their way of play down on me, and I fought back. Maybe not as much as trying to impose my way of playing, as more of being rather aggresive against them. And so I apologize.

Back on topic: The only thing I really want to comment on is the duelling part:

4.1.1: The number of participants is equal, and

If I were in a battleship I wouldn't mind duelling against for example two fighters, or for that matter two gunboats. And they probably wouldn't either. :P

Oh, and what do you mean by:

4.1.1: The above criterias have been meet, or

Are you talking about the first three set of rules or what?
If you are then why?
A duel should be legible as long as the participants agree on the duel. No matter what they are flying or such things. But that's just my opinion.

Rules of engagement - Igiss - 07-24-2005

Decided to rewrite the PvP rules right? You may copy this list, start your own server and count the number of players who will follow all the rules you imposed, and I assure you that this number will always be 1 - you.

Ok let me explain.

Imposing rules for duel: absurd. Those who fight can agree about the rules themseves.

Rules for freighters: weird. You are hauling, say, 4000 diamonds in a large train. First of all, 400 diamonds is half of what Terrors are asking (half a million credits), and you are making this a law. Ok, next, what if there's a fighter attacking you? Where will this ship keep your 400 cargo? Besides attacking of any original game freighters (from Rhino to Humpback) is prohibited by PvP rules that already exist.

Rules for fighters: there is a rule that prohibits attacking fighters of level 25 and below for fighters level 26 and above. If the below 25 one is attacking himself, he's open for attack for anyone.
Quote:The ship is the same class as the attacker, or
Cool, a nomad fighter or Banshee may attack a starflier freely right? Very fair.

Rules for capital ships: they are the strongest in the game, is there a need to impose rules? Imho no reason at all.

General concepts.

Quote:The ship has been given a warning.
How? Seconds while you are inputting a message other ship will flee, if the pilot is not an imbecile.
Quote:Unless these criteria have been meet, the use of weapons against any freighter is strictly prohibited, except the use of cruise disrupters to prevent the escape of said freighter.
That part was really amusing because capital ships have no cruise disruptors. And besides, did you try to fire disruptors inside a trade lane when the ship is fleeing? Did it work? hehe :wacko:

Liberty systems. Most piracy takes place away from Liberty. And Manhattan is already no-PvP zone according to our existing rules.

Last, but not least. Even (theoretically) we have those rules on the server, how can you control how they are followed? You never get proof, for example, of being warned by the attacker. He may not warn you, kill you and then say that he warned. So, you didn't recieve the warning because you were occupied by something else, or away from PC for 5 seconds, or because the other guy is lying. That's why I never even mentioned warnings in my rules. Pirates of course warn, to get money from traders. But others? Those who are fighting pirates, and pirates fighting other fighters?
Think about it.

Rules of engagement - f2k - 07-24-2005

Im just trying to help here It seems that your server is quickly being polarized into the Battleship Terror Group vs. everyone else. Im just suggesting a set of rules that might keep hostilities regulated to ensure that everyone can play on the server

Is it absurd to regulate rules for a duel? Not at all let me give you an example. I agree to meet a player at station X in system Y and duel. He shows up, and we both dock at the station to get a respawn-point as close to the designated battlefield as possible. The duel starts, and I kill him. He respawns and leaves the station. I, laughing my *bib* off, blows him out of the sky before the undocking cut-scene has even ended. The same thing happens over and over again until he eventually quits in disgust. It is this sort of things that I would like to avoid

Perhaps I should have explained what I mean by classes. Classes could be Light Fighter, Very Heavy Fighter, Gunboat and so on.
Im not sure how you would classify the Nomad Fighter, but I sure wouldnt class it as light (its weaponry is way too powerful. But hey, Nomad weaponry is generally way too powerful for its class).

Capital ships are very powerful and so they need to be regulated the most If someone goes berserk in a Starflyer, hes not much of a threat. If someone goes berserk in a capital ship its a very different story

So, capital ships have no cruise disrupters meaning that other ships will try to escape? And so what? How many real-world pirates sailed around in capital class ships? If you really want to play a pirate, the chose a ship suited for this purpose. Fighters are for piracy capital ships are for fleet engagements

How can these rules be enforced? Do we not already enforce a variation of these rules? Are we not supposed to take a screenshot and send it to you if someone breaks the rules?

What I wrote was just suggestions for how we might all have a good time on your server. Suggestions, not demands

Rules of engagement - xit - 07-24-2005

f2k,Jul 24 2005, 06:39 PM Wrote:So, capital ships have no cruise disrupters meaning that other ships will try to escape? And so what? How many real-world pirates sailed around in capital class ships? If you really want to play a pirate, the chose a ship suited for this purpose. Fighters are for piracy capital ships are for fleet engagements
[snapback]801[/snapback]

Says who?
If I were a pirate (or in a pirate group) I would love to have a battleship, at the minimum as backup, or just use it as it is. It might be a little overkill for a lonely pirate, but with it you do have a threat that people will take notice of and give due respect (i.e. pay up or get blown to pieces).

Regarding classes: if a Nomad fighter is a light fighter then it should be allowed to battle against a Starflier.

Putting ships into different classes because of what weapons they have or can get is just not right, in my opinion. There are ships out there that can get really powerfull weapons that's really meant for larger classes, but that doesn't mean that they should be put into that class.

xit,Jul 24 2005, 07:55 PM Wrote:Says who?
If I were a pirate (or in a pirate group) I would love to have a battleship, at the minimum as backup, or just use it as it is. It might be a little overkill for a lonely pirate, but with it you do have a threat that people will take notice of and give due respect (i.e. pay up or get blown to pieces).
[snapback]807[/snapback]

Sure, it could be cool to be a pirate in a capital ship. But then you must also accept the drawbacks that such a ship has like no disrupters.
The same in the real world. A pirate could sail in a great big Man-O-War with lots of guns but he should not complain when his target escapes through a reef. On the other hand, if sailing in a sloop, he should not complain about being outgunned by a frigate

Quote:Regarding classes: if a Nomad fighter is a light fighter then it should be allowed to battle against a Starflier.

Putting ships into different classes because of what weapons they have or can get is just not right, in my opinion. There are ships out there that can get really powerfull weapons that's really meant for larger classes, but that doesn't mean that they should be put into that class.
[snapback]807[/snapback]

Ok, you have a point. As Ive already said, these are just suggestions. Feel free to comment / change them as you feel is right

Really, if people behaved nicely, then none of these rules should be necessary. But unfortunately some people dont. Shadow Killer just announced that hes leaving. Why? Because he was mistreated? I dont know the full story, so I don't want judge anyone

I just think that its sad that players are forced to quit this server because they cannot be allowed to play in without being hunted and killed

Rules of engagement - Igiss - 07-24-2005

Shadow Killer's situation is violation of server rules that already exist. If this repeats, I will start banning people.

Pirates may demand money and open fire if refused. That's their right while the sum of money is acceptable for a trader. More than 1 million for one run seems unacceptable to me. Open fire and kill just because they like it that way? It's no longer piracy, and if you go on doing that, you'll get banned.

Igiss,Jul 24 2005, 08:12 PM Wrote:Shadow Killer's situation is violation of server rules that already exists. If this repeats, I will start banning people.

Pirates may demand money and open fire if refused. That's their right while the sum of money is acceptable for a trader. More than 1 million for one run seems unacceptable to me. Open fire and kill just because they like it that way? It's no longer piracy, and if you go on doing that, you'll get banned.
[snapback]814[/snapback]

Im glad to hear that youre taking action against those who breaks the rules. As I said, this discussion wouldnt be necessary if we all play nice

Rules of engagement - Shadow_killer05 - 07-24-2005

Finnaly its starting to get through to ppl :)

Rules of engagement - Wrath - 07-25-2005

Just would like to make sure I had no idea Zerplatzen was in on the blockade, and he speaks no english, check the other thread for the rest of my thoughts.....

Very well 1 million credits is the new docking price for berlin/tokyo.