Discovery Gaming Community
Official Disco Trading Guide - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Official Disco Trading Guide (/showthread.php?tid=70962)

Pages: 1 2 3

Official Disco Trading Guide - Xoria - 12-31-2011

*Note about Freelancer Companion:
Freelancer Companion no longer works with the default settings.
You must go to the Settings Menu and select "Set Freelancer Directory"
Then you must choose the directory where you installed the mod: Discovery Freelancer 4.87.0
If you do not do this manually, Freelancer Companion will not view the correct Freelancer files.

Overview

------------
Commodities in Sirius fall into three basic types of economic structures: Inter-House Exports, Local Markets, and Inter-House Imports.

Inter-House Exports are usually produced in one location and exported to other Houses for the best profit margins. In a few cases they are produced in more than one House (for example: Engine Componenets and Ship Hull Panels).

Local Market commodities are produced in each House and basically only traded within that House.

Inter-House Imports may be purchased in many locations across Sirius, but are transported for the best profit margins to only one or two locations. (Zoner Passengers)

This tutorial applies only to the economy of Sirius, not Gallia.

*** For all perishable commodities, Freelancer Companion will show inaccurate data unless your cargo volume is changed from the default of 1 in the program. To do this, open the Settings menu at the top of Freelancer Companion, then select Limitations. At the bottom of the window, set Cargo Volume to the cargo limit of your ship. Perishable commodities are balanced to 5,000 cargo, so the profit margins will change depending on your cargo. Perishable commodities are Luxury Food, Alien Organisms, Plutonium, MOX.***

Inter-House Exports
----------------------------
Exports make up the backbone of the economy, and they have the best profit margins in Sirius. Most exports have very few local prices in the region where they are produced, and relatively low local profit margins. Bases that produce exports also purchase exports from other Houses (Denver purchases Beryllium in order to manufacture Superconductors), and also purchase one or more of the commodities produced in the Local Market economy. Exports have the best profit margins at locations that consume them to produce another commodity, at major planets, and at storage or shipping platforms.

Local Markets
--------------------
Local Markets are the regional foundations of each House's economy. In addition to Oxygen, Water, and Food Rations (which are priced at every base), the following commodities are basic necessities that are available from one primary location in each House and are distributed to the local planets, population centers, and industrial centers throughout the House.

The proper use of Local Market commodities will allow traders to change from one circuit to another with ease, or access any base in a House without having to travel empty.

- Sake, Liberty Ale, Rheinbier, Gin distributed from Planets New Tokyo, Manhattan, New Berlin, and New London.
- Consumer Goods distributed from Kensington, Fort Bush, Shinjuku, and Bonn
- Industrial Materials distributed from Trenton, Lancaster, Osaka, and Mainz
- Mining Machinery distributed from Hamilton, Thames, Essen, and Narita
- Spaceship Crew are available from most shipyards and bases that consume commodities but do not have an export of their own (for example, Baltimore Shipyard and Nansei Research). Crew may be transported to nearby planets and export producers.
- Scientists are available at Research Stations for transport to nearby bases.

Inter-House Imports
----------------------------
Inter-House Imports are available to be purchased from numerous locations in Sirius, but are most profitably transported to only one or two central locations. Scientists and Toxic Waste are both examples of this type of commodity. These may be traded locally in a limited way, but the profit margins are lower and random.

Trade Circuits
--------------------
A Trade Circuit basically begins at Base-A, travels to Base-B, then on to Base-C, and back to Base-A. At each location the commodity taken to the base is sold to the base, and another commodity is purchased to sell to the next base in the circuit. Circuits generally will have to contain a minimum of 3 or 4 stops, but it is possible to use circuits that contain many more stops, or that don't attempt to return to the original base at all.

A typical Trade Circuit between two Houses might look like this:
Liberty
-Buy Superconductors at Planet Denver
Bretonia
-Sell Superconductors at Southampton Shipyard and buy Space Ship Crew
-Sell Spaceship Crew at Thames Outpost and buy Mining Machinery
-Sell Mining Machinery at Graves Station and buy Gold
Liberty
-Sell Gold at Fort Bush and buy Consumer Goods
-Sell Consumer Goods at Planet Denver

A Trade Circuit between all four Houses might look like this:
Liberty
-Buy Platinum at Toronto Staton
Bretonia
-Sell Platinum at Thames Outpost and buy Spaceship Crew
-Sell Spaceship Crew at Planet New London and buy Consumer Goods
-Sell Consumer Goods at Planet Cambridge and buy Luxury Food
Rheinland
-Sell Luxury Food at Planet New Berlin and buy Basic Alloy
-Sell Basic Alloy at Leipzig Station and buy High Temperature Alloy
Kusari
-Sell High Temperature Alloy at Yokohama Shipyard and buy Spaceship Crew
-Sell Spaceship Crew at Planet New Tokyo and buy Mining Machinery, or at Shinjuku and buy Consumer Goods
-Sell Mining Machinery or Consumer Goods at Java Station and buy Beryllium
Liberty
-Sell Beryllium at Planet Denver

As these Trade Circuits demonstrate, Local Markets allow a trader to sell an Export to a base that does not produce an Export, but that instead sells a Local Market commodity that will allow the trader to move to an Export producing location nearby while still earning profits.

Interstellar Trading Simulation
-------------------------------------------
This is a simulation of the new economy created using the software Personal Brain. The simulation is uploaded into the cloud, so it is accessible persistently online. It will also automatically reflect any changes that I make to the simulation. This guide does NOT include all of the possible trades in the new mod, nor is it intended to replace Freelancer Companion. This simulation does not show any numbers at all, neither profits nor rates of return. What it does is provide easy access to roughly the top 10% of transactions for each commodity, in an easily navigable presentation. The Gallic and Sirian economies are both represented, although they are separated into distinct trading systems within the simulation.

Please note that you can minimize the text bar at the bottom by clicking on the arrow just above the box. You will also have to use the scroll bars to view all of the links in many cases. If you search for the term Sirius, in the text box you will find instructions about the simulation. After reading that, I suggest minimizing the text box for further use.

Use the Search box in the bottom left of the screen to search for specific bases or commodities.

I am also making available a basic template of the simulation. This template shows all the bases and commodities, but only shows where commodities are produced, not where they are consumed. By downloading the Personal Brain software from www.thebrain.com (this is free), and importing the template into it, you can then create your own custom trade routes without the distractions of routes that you are not interested in. This may be of use to trading factions who only want their own faction specific routes displayed. By opening an account at www.webbrain.com (also free) you can upload your brain and make it available to your faction members.

Sample House Trade Routes
------------------------------------------
The spreadsheets in this link provide samples of trade routes for House corporations. Gallic trading and some Sirian factions are not represented.

Official Disco Trading Guide - Lusitano - 12-31-2011

Greetings

First of all, great job.

Zoner passengers? That means that finally Zoners can have a Passenger Liner? On 4.85 most of the palces that we can use Liners can be landed with the Zoner Guard, so 4.86 will the same?

' Wrote:Greetings

First of all, great job.

Zoner passengers? That means that finally Zoners can have a Passenger Liner? On 4.85 most of the palces that we can use Liners can be landed with the Zoner Guard, so 4.86 will the same?
Zoner Passengers are embarking from Freeports/Zoner bases, so I think that answers your question.

Official Disco Trading Guide - Lusitano - 12-31-2011

i think that is a yes ... now ... let's see what liner with what id can we have :-)

Official Disco Trading Guide - Anonymous User - 12-31-2011

thx for that nice little guide:D

i like your "through all 4 houses" traderoute (if it rlly works - I'll have a look on that soon)

Added this note to the Guide.

For all perishable commodities, Freelancer Companion will show inaccurate data unless your cargo volume is changed from the default of 1 in the program. To do this, open the Settings menu at the top of Freelancer Companion, then select Limitations. At the bottom of the window, set Cargo Volume to the cargo limit of your ship. Perishable commodities are balanced to 5,000 cargo, so the profit margins will change depending on your cargo. Perishable commodities are Luxury Food, Alien Organisms, Plutonium, MOX.

Official Disco Trading Guide - Rodnas - 03-13-2012

I have a quick question concerning smuggling- how were those commodities balanced? Were they set up having the jumhole only and lane avoiding smuggler in mind or the full risk(and a bit oorp) lane and gate using smuggler?
Furthermore- is the average joe smuggler "intended" as a freelancer who can pick up goods at lawfull bases too or is the sytem balanced for faction smugglers (like outcasts, hessians, corsairs) wo use their own id -or both?

I'm asking here from a corsairs point of view as i try to get a nice collection of smuggling routes together and i was taking the time on my runs. While the situation improved greatly it can sometimes be hard to find inRP routes that end at artifact selling points or are intended for other factions ( i don't want to trade only between freeports even if this would mean a good $/s ratio).

Sorry if all those questions were already clarified somewhere;)

Official Disco Trading Guide - Xoria - 03-15-2012

Every commodity price is figured using the fastest possible route, regardless of what that is. The only exception I've made to this is Niobium from Falkland to Leipzig. The route goes through Alpha but I priced it to pay for the longer path through Kusari.

If the consumption point is a lawful base, like Manhattan, then I expect that if you can land on Manhattan to sell contraband, then you can buy legal commodities on Manhattan or a nearby base for the return trip. The intended return trip for Artifacts is Luxury Consumer Goods from Newark. For Cardamine it's Slaves from Pittsburgh (Basic Alloys from Manhattan to Pittsburgh, first).

The Junker and Rogue bases around Liberty offer various commodities that are bought in Alpha and Gamma for unlawful faction IDs who are trading to those bases (Rochester-Superconductors to Tripoli; Rochester-Luxury Goods to Niverton, Niverton/Buffalo-Slaves to Malta). The higher prices for contraband on Manhattan compensate for the lower cargo that Freelancer/Smuggler IDs are restricted to, so the system is balanced for both Outcast/Corsair and Freelancers, depending on where they are able to land.

There are some experimental changes to cardamine and artifact prices in Update 4.

Official Disco Trading Guide - Rodnas - 03-16-2012

Ok thanks, that cleared up my confusion:)

Official Disco Trading Guide - Lumik - 04-26-2012

After update 5 FL Companion stopped importing data (changed prices) from running game. Did you know how to fix it or where is problem? Because before data import worked without any problems...