Discovery Gaming Community
Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Cap-missions in Edinburg. (/showthread.php?tid=74458)

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Knjaz - 02-08-2012

Just a simple idea, Omicron Eta-like highly profitable missions against Bretonian battleships/cruisers at Edinburg. That would increase Gallic presence at the frontline and would let GRN players that log in to Edinburg to do something else, other then staring at the sun and embracing the silence.

Right now frontline is alive when it's, either, GRN raiding Leeds, or Bretonia raiding Edinburg. Also that would attract more indies to play for Gallia's side.

EDIT: Why Edinburg, and not Lewis for example? Because it's a higher risk zone, and people doing these missions will always have a risk of getting attacked in the process. Encourages teamplay and such.

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - AeternusDoleo - 02-08-2012

Personally I'm more in favor of putting these in Dundee. That system is intended to be a warzone after all... Just needs a (small) Gallic outpost as well. Then Valorspam can go play with Doomshrimp Central. But before that can be made to be we'll be needing Bret caps in missions. It's on the list as yet another major project (a big one at that).

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Zaness89 - 02-08-2012

so why are the capital missions are missin in liberty? they could take place in New ham.
and the rheinland capital missions could take place in bremen.

I dont know why the cap. missions cant be taken everywere where war is (frontline) it would make a lot fun...

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Marburg - 02-08-2012

just so you know for future reference, edinburgh is pronounced 'edinburrah'

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Knjaz - 02-08-2012

' Wrote:Personally I'm more in favor of putting these in Dundee. That system is intended to be a warzone after all... Just needs a (small) Gallic outpost as well. Then Valorspam can go play with Doomshrimp Central. But before that can be made to be we'll be needing Bret caps in missions. It's on the list as yet another major project (a big one at that).

In my humble opinion:

There're few.... difficulties with that scenario. Both inRP ones, IF I understand things correctly (Which I, possibly, do not), and "in-game" ones (which I hope I understand pretty well).

RP Part:
First of all, what's the main direction of Gallic attack into Dundee? There're 2 jumpholes into Dundee from Gallic controlled space, both located in open terrain in Dundee >> but one of jumpholes leads from T31, while other goes from Edinburg. Since Gallics tend to secure territory by placing battleships left and right, have a huge advantage in capital fleet and try to utilize that advantage to it's fullest - on their place I would push from Edinburg. Because Tau 31 asteroid field is just too dense to move a large taskforce through it. (I saw there's a large area without asteroids around Dundee JH in T31, but, afaik, it doesn't reach Trade Lane?)

That means giving Dunblane station to Gallia... that itself goes against the Gallic strategy, because they would not leave a "small outpost" or even a station on the frontline. After all, in all-out war it'd get quickly taken out. Unless that thing will be heavily armed.

//ooRP, "In-Game" part: Gallic battleship hugging abilities, due to weakneses of Valors and sheer size of gallic capital vessels are limited. (compared to Karlsruhe/Missisipi hugging, for example). So placing a Valor there isn't a big deal. But that's of secondary importance (Valor or Station).

Ok, now you gave Dunblane station to Gallia, changed it to Valor, whatever.

How will it turn out in practice?

Unless that thing has good firepower, and is located close to jumphole, so passing snubcraft risk to get instakilled and passing capital ships risk getting damaged, BAF&Co will be going into Dundee... from Edinburg. Because jumpholes there are located very close to each other, and that tactic will prevent Gallic players from running into Edinburg. So, de-facto, we'll end up with Bretonian&Co strike forces (especially if we're talking about bomber pack) passing Gallic controlled Edinburg to get into Dundee.

At same time, raids will be happening as they do right now: Gallics will be pushing into Leeds, and Bretonians will be pushing into Edinburg. So you end up splitting warzone into 2 parts: Main one (Edinburg/Leeds), and minor one - Dundee, where bomber packs will be hunting Valors/cruisers that are doing missions. In other words, you'll repeat 4.85 Omicron Eta experience.

People do not raid "neutral" territory. People raid each others "home". In that case - "Activity hub". And they do it through shortest available path.

(It's offtopic here, but I always wondered what made DevTeam think, that by increasing distance from Alpha to Gamma they will move Sair/Outcast conflict into Sigmas, without giving making Sigmas an activity hub for at least one out of two sides of the conflict)

Since it's unlikely Dundee will be an activity hub for Bretonia (due to it's location), we'll end up with those 2 scenarios:

1) Gallics using Dundee as their activity hub and raiding Leeds, Bretonia using Leeds as their activity hub and raiding Dundee, both do it through Edinburg

2) Gallics using Edinburg as their activity hub and raiding Leeds, Bretonia using Leeds as their activity hub and raiding Edinburg.

P.S. Also, Edinburg serves pretty well as the Gallic activity hub, being heavily defended and having Jumpholes to the very populated systems of Dubln and Leeds. That alone makes it harder to move Gallic playerbase into Dundee. + people got used to it already. (like, Eta wasn't a real Outcast activity hub, while having pretty good missions)

P.P.S. As for your remark about "adding bret caps into missions".... oh well, I guess I greatly underestimated the technical complexity of that addon =\

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Hone - 02-08-2012

Cap missions everywhere!

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Mímir - 02-09-2012

' Wrote:just so you know for future reference, edinburgh is pronounced 'edinburrah'

Edinbrrrahh among natives. How about more capmissions in general for all capship factions?

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Wraga - 02-09-2012

capmissions for xenoes too!!!

Cap-missions in Edinburg. - Ursus - 02-09-2012

Great I can give up trading and do money-grinding with battleship, damn pirates watch out