Discovery Gaming Community
Vertical Ships - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Vertical Ships (/showthread.php?tid=123801)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - Titan* - 12-18-2014

I suggest AI Ships.

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - HassLHoFF™ - 12-18-2014

I still have somekind of an invasion-mothership in mind, really really huge. Without weapons, maybe 30 m/s max speed, but with the ability to jump/teleport (loading time about 20-30s), and maybe also cloak, But with up to 10-14 docking bays with 2-3 bays for a cruiser.

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - Fluffyball - 12-18-2014

Yeah, we lack vertical ships. However, Neo Terra will introduce such capital ships (to the Terran Systems Confederacy), because it would fit with current (awesome) snub line.

(12-18-2014, 08:42 PM)Freedom Phantom Wrote: Hmm.
Imagine flying down a tradelane
And having the thing in the second picture cut you in half.
Just don't do it while I have RP cargo and Codenames plex.

Now I had a feeling such ship would be perfect for the only one type of TL

GALLIC TRADE LANE - as those are not vertical, but horizontal. However, solution would be tilting all the TLs 45 degrees onto one side (keeping the same TL tunnel creation devices in the same place).

How about it?

Neo Terra shouldn't have that problem, as all TLs are horizontal.

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - t0l - 12-19-2014

Here come the vertical battleships in Sirian TLs, smacking everyone, eating NPCs, and eventually dying to trade lane collision damage.

come to think of it, a gallic battle-ram wouldnt be that bad of a weapon considering how sirian TLs are

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - Echo 7-7 - 12-19-2014

I don't think this would work in Disco. Too impractical to use in most systems, and likely awkward to fly in the Freelancer engine regardless. Besides, we have enough capital ships as it is.

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - HassLHoFF™ - 12-19-2014

(12-19-2014, 02:31 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: I don't think this would work in Disco. Too impractical to use in most systems, and likely awkward to fly in the Freelancer engine regardless. Besides, we have enough capital ships as it is.

Not more awkward than a Neph.
What should the argument mean that there are enough capital ships? This indicates some factions are restricted cause that they were to late or cause other factions must have 2 or more capital vessels. That's a bit odd in my opinion.

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - Echo 7-7 - 12-19-2014

(12-19-2014, 02:48 AM)HassLHoFF Wrote:
(12-19-2014, 02:31 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: I don't think this would work in Disco. Too impractical to use in most systems, and likely awkward to fly in the Freelancer engine regardless. Besides, we have enough capital ships as it is.

What should the argument mean that there are enough capital ships? This indicates some factions are restricted cause that they were to late or cause other factions must have 2 or more capital vessels. That's a bit odd in my opinion.

A vertically-orientated ship would cause issues with potential collisions with trade lanes, simply attempting to enter a Jump Gate, and navigation of asteroid fields would likely prove to be very challenging.

Without seeing a new model intended for submission, the suggested designs do not suit any of the existing ship lines.

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - Black Widow - 12-19-2014

(12-19-2014, 03:50 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote:
(12-19-2014, 02:48 AM)HassLHoFF Wrote:

A vertically-orientated ship would cause issues with potential collisions with trade lanes, simply attempting to enter a Jump Gate, and navigation of asteroid fields would likely prove to be very challenging.

Without seeing a new model intended for submission, the suggested designs do not suit any of the existing ship lines.

If you design a vertical ship whose vertical height < internal diameter of jumpgate then why couldnt it work.

As for tradelanes any size vertical ship can fit into a tradelane ring since they are broken not complete circles...

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - nOmnomnOm - 12-19-2014

Just have a rule that they cannot use sirian trade lanes Tongue only Gallic.

Also for modeling

Step 1 get bottlenose model.
Step 2 stretch that sucker out vertically.
Step 3 retexture

RE: Ship like Higaran Mothership - Derkylos - 12-19-2014

(12-19-2014, 04:14 AM)Black Widow Wrote: As for tradelanes any size vertical ship can fit into a tradelane ring since they are broken not complete circles...

...and any traffic coming the other way would hit you at OVER NINE THOUSAND meters per second, doing ridiculous amounts of damage. Not to mention that you would collide with anyone hovering remotely near the trade lane or it's exits.

Plus, could you imagine the funsies when someone rams the end of that long lever? Note how there are no exceptionally wide ships, either. Anyone else remember the joys of flying the old import Spatial model with the huge vertical wing?