Discovery Gaming Community
[RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? (/showthread.php?tid=126981)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - .Gypsy. - 03-05-2015

Just take a long break, thats what I do, vanish for 6 months to a year, when I come back I'm reminded how cool this game still is after so long and how theres really no other game quite like it.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - ProwlerPC - 03-05-2015

It appears you have listed all the uses you got out of trading but then after called trading useless. Welcome to the endgame. When I reached that point years ago I joined the staff and squeezed a couple more yrs of excitement for myself.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - St.Denis - 03-05-2015

(03-05-2015, 05:22 PM)Black Widow Wrote: What I havent been very good in though is getting into Official Factions, some how everytime I try I am denied? Maybe people just dont like me I guess, who knows...

How many Official Factions have you tried?

Not everybody is biased and there are people out there willing to give others a chance. If you, with your Indies, actually tried 'playing along' with certain Official factions, instead of doing your own thing, then maybe, just maybe they would look on you a bit more favourably.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - SnakThree - 03-05-2015

(03-05-2015, 08:28 PM)St.Denis Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 05:22 PM)Black Widow Wrote: What I havent been very good in though is getting into Official Factions, some how everytime I try I am denied? Maybe people just dont like me I guess, who knows...

How many Official Factions have you tried?

Not everybody is biased and there are people out there willing to give others a chance. If you, with your Indies, actually tried 'playing along' with certain Official factions, instead of doing your own thing, then maybe, just maybe they would look on you a bit more favourably.
I have offered him to join 3 different factions which are unbiased last time he made such a thread. He chose to not even try apply for them. This is a lost cause. Attention seeking thread, nothing more.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - Thyrzul - 03-06-2015

That beautiful moment when two pirates in Warans stop you and instead of asking you credits or the almost full load of MOX you have, they ask for your single but magnitudes more loved bottle of rum... and you are flying a Voyager. Oh, I had so much fun with them. Too bad they got bored eventually.

That's the point.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - Gentlefood - 03-10-2015

Trading was likely always intended as a grind. Not only is it the primary giver of the oft sought after spess cash, it is also the primary cause of activity. Traders attract pierats who attract lawfuls who attract moar pierats and lots of pew occurs and everyone save the lowest on the totem pole is happy. Until they aren't.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - lomz - 03-10-2015

Idially, trading would serve the purpose of giving you a better edge later on in fights. Now, there's little use of it because 1: There are no fights 2: Even if there is one, people will just yell at you for using assets that you gained through trading, such as caps and bases. To rebalance trading, the revenue of trading should be lower so you dont reach maximum wealth endgame after 4 weeks, the traderuns should be focused along the same routes so pirates dont get bored to death, and using a cap shouldnt get you yelled at all the time, so that there is actually any use. Also make snubs better and more expensive, so you dont reach best-possible-snub endgame after 1 day.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - Lythrilux - 03-10-2015

Double the buy and sell prices of commodities on all bases in the game. Throw in a few more tweaks and make the equipment and ships in the game more expensive too.

This will make trading more rewarding, add more risk and make piracy worthwhile.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - Mr.Fabulous - 03-21-2015

(03-10-2015, 12:44 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Double the buy and sell prices of commodities on all bases in the game. Throw in a few more tweaks and make the equipment and ships in the game more expensive too.

yuck.

I don't think the problem here is that trading reaches you to endgame faster. The real problem is the fact that there even IS such a thing as an "endgame".

I believe we shouldn't focus on the act of trading itself, but more on what the purpose of trading ultimately is for.

If it's just for gaining more credits through powertrading, then the purpose is only for gaining credits, and there's only so much that credits can buy.

But if it's for taking goods A to point B to create goods C, and you need goods C to create equipment D, but you also need goods E to create equipment D, THEN that's when trading doesn't become boring. In fact, it will NEVER be boring because now players will be involved in the art of logistics. Pirates will then rise because they also want to make equipment D, and in order for them to do that they need to pirate goods A, or intercept the finished goods C, or other stuff. Then police factions and merc groups will grow because traders and manufacturers HAVE to produce equipment D in order to create ships F, G, H, and I, and maybe PoB J, K, L and M's.

OR maybe that pirate groups don't want the corps to make said ships F,G that police/navy factions use, or ships H and I that other traders make.

Basically, what we need is to update the use of the MANY commodities that we currently have, into building blocks for players to eventually use, create, and destroy, creating cycles of gameplay where then, and ONLY then, does everyone feel like they have a purpose here.

Also, destructible ships/equipment/stuff, and CREATE ships/equipment/stuff. Do want.

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - FallenKnight - 03-21-2015

I randomly encountered your thread, Widow and I find your situation very interesting because you are not the first one to feel that way. Discovery offers to its players a lot of experience through RP so my opinions below would consider primary this part.

Choose another sector from Sirius - if you've been focusing on one side and did accomplished all things, then switch sides. I am not talking about playing on the independent side only but aim for the official factions of this area as well. Each side have trading companies, military and police forces - a lot to be offered and I am sure you haven't been at all positions of all factions of all sectors in Sirius of Discovery - that would be "endgame" Smile

Never think of credit capacity as endgame because that would be wrong. Money are giving you the means to achieve some goals but a lot more remains to be achieved here without their need. You can't buy yourself a rank from official faction for example - things like that takes time and need to be earned. Most independent players are having issues with taking orders in RP from certain colleges. Others don't want to wait a month or two before receiving right to buy a certain ship or use a special equipment so they jump to the "cheat" part or in short - "I want this right now". Of course there is nothing wrong about that but the slight issue with this decision is that you will shorten the time needed to hit a certain "goal".

To reduce the level of misunderstanding heres an example
(Lets say you want a kusari battleship - the ship only, so you trade for a day or two and then you buy it. So far so good - quest complete. What's next? You think of character which somehow got a battleship - you plan to RP it nicely but in the eyes of those waiting to get permission to buy one you would be nothing but an imposter in a very not-offensive way. So you shoot around for a month and after you notice there is little to be done in this area you would buy a new ship to try your luck elsewhere.)
The above example is what I've noticed most indies are doing over and over. Do you see the missing part of it? The reason why discovery is good server is that here there is Role Play and very few people actually care for a nice experience with RP - majority would jump to the "crude" PVP and complain of things getting boring really fast. Why would such a player powertrade? To buy more battleships? And what after that? Smile

Here is a challenge for you - target a faction, join it and prove yourself to its players and to all connected to them. Prove that you are good RP-er and PVP-er at the same time. They might not have a very good rising system to your liking but respect their leadership reasons to believe this is right. Consider it like a hard quest where the NPC's are the real people. Do your duties in this faction and climb to the top - if you can and if that is what you wish. The more you climb - the more permissions would be given to buy ships, to use certain equipments or even dive in politics and then your money will be useful. You will not be forced to trade and lose time when you can focus on your character RP development. Ships are tools, the ships are not the characters here.

I am sure you know that to climb in military faction, usually it takes around 5+ months. During this time you should prove your skills to take orders, to report properly, to RP properly with the faction ID and the higher your rank - the more important would be your leadership skills in both RP and OoRP. These factors will separate you from your char a little for you will become the player taking reasonable actions through his character and your mistakes might result in your character suspensions in RP (being court martial or fine or removal from duty). All this would also allow you to meet new people and have fun.

If this rough example is ~5+ months to hit inside a certain faction high command then imagine if you aim to do this for two factions or three...how about you add a trading faction in this mess? Or maybe even a pirate one...hm? You would not have time then to properly RP all chars and you will end up with few - those being part of sector you like and faction you would happen to prefer above others not only because of the RP but also because of the players there.

So, are you ready for a challenge like this or you would prefer to trade around silently for sake of getting ships for pvp only? I don't mean to offend you and by "you" I mean all those players that are here for this very reason. But if you like it this way then indeed disco might get boring for you quite fast.