Discovery Gaming Community
[RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? (/showthread.php?tid=126981)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - Black Widow - 03-25-2015

(03-21-2015, 03:48 AM)FallenKnight Wrote: I randomly encountered your thread, Widow and I find your situation very interesting because you are not the first one to feel that way. Discovery offers to its players a lot of experience through RP so my opinions below would consider primary this part.

Choose another sector from Sirius - if you've been focusing on one side and did accomplished all things, then switch sides. I am not talking about playing on the independent side only but aim for the official factions of this area as well. Each side have trading companies, military and police forces - a lot to be offered and I am sure you haven't been at all positions of all factions of all sectors in Sirius of Discovery - that would be "endgame" Smile

Never think of credit capacity as endgame because that would be wrong. Money are giving you the means to achieve some goals but a lot more remains to be achieved here without their need. You can't buy yourself a rank from official faction for example - things like that takes time and need to be earned. Most independent players are having issues with taking orders in RP from certain colleges. Others don't want to wait a month or two before receiving right to buy a certain ship or use a special equipment so they jump to the "cheat" part or in short - "I want this right now". Of course there is nothing wrong about that but the slight issue with this decision is that you will shorten the time needed to hit a certain "goal".

To reduce the level of misunderstanding heres an example
(Lets say you want a kusari battleship - the ship only, so you trade for a day or two and then you buy it. So far so good - quest complete. What's next? You think of character which somehow got a battleship - you plan to RP it nicely but in the eyes of those waiting to get permission to buy one you would be nothing but an imposter in a very not-offensive way. So you shoot around for a month and after you notice there is little to be done in this area you would buy a new ship to try your luck elsewhere.)
The above example is what I've noticed most indies are doing over and over. Do you see the missing part of it? The reason why discovery is good server is that here there is Role Play and very few people actually care for a nice experience with RP - majority would jump to the "crude" PVP and complain of things getting boring really fast. Why would such a player powertrade? To buy more battleships? And what after that? Smile

Here is a challenge for you - target a faction, join it and prove yourself to its players and to all connected to them. Prove that you are good RP-er and PVP-er at the same time. They might not have a very good rising system to your liking but respect their leadership reasons to believe this is right. Consider it like a hard quest where the NPC's are the real people. Do your duties in this faction and climb to the top - if you can and if that is what you wish. The more you climb - the more permissions would be given to buy ships, to use certain equipments or even dive in politics and then your money will be useful. You will not be forced to trade and lose time when you can focus on your character RP development. Ships are tools, the ships are not the characters here.

I am sure you know that to climb in military faction, usually it takes around 5+ months. During this time you should prove your skills to take orders, to report properly, to RP properly with the faction ID and the higher your rank - the more important would be your leadership skills in both RP and OoRP. These factors will separate you from your char a little for you will become the player taking reasonable actions through his character and your mistakes might result in your character suspensions in RP (being court martial or fine or removal from duty). All this would also allow you to meet new people and have fun.

If this rough example is ~5+ months to hit inside a certain faction high command then imagine if you aim to do this for two factions or three...how about you add a trading faction in this mess? Or maybe even a pirate one...hm? You would not have time then to properly RP all chars and you will end up with few - those being part of sector you like and faction you would happen to prefer above others not only because of the RP but also because of the players there.

So, are you ready for a challenge like this or you would prefer to trade around silently for sake of getting ships for pvp only? I don't mean to offend you and by "you" I mean all those players that are here for this very reason. But if you like it this way then indeed disco might get boring for you quite fast.

Well I always wanted to join the BAF| and have Argosax in the primaries but I guess that will never happen what with all past histories and oorp hatreds flailing around the place :/

RE: [RANT] Trading: Whats the point? - jammi - 03-25-2015

I think I can give a pretty honest answer, because across the 6 or so years I played here, trading is pretty much all I did. I also left for a long time and very recently came back, so I can expand on my motivations for doing that (beside temporary insanity).

I don't trade to make money. I trade because that's what my character does. Profit is a part of the character's motivation because he's a heartless corporate stooge, but I genuinely don't care about the money. That's why in the past (and in the near future) pretty much all of my personal money has ended up being funneled back into projects like Bowex to fund other people's enjoyment.

I came back because there are people here I genuinely love playing with, and a faction I genuinely love playing in. Honestly, if I was just flying on my own, or only playing to screw over people I didn't like, I'd probably have given up before I did and not come back now. I trade to develop my character, and I play because the people I like play with me. If you view trading as the mere mechanism that causes your credit count to steadily tick upwards, duh, you'll get bored.

As for the "OORP hatreds" and the "some how everytime I try I am denied" with factions? A little introspection about actions and attitude would go a long way in your case. Sugarcoating words doesn't seem to work here, so basically, if your worldview is hinged on the fact that the vast majority of people around you are completely unreasonable and arbitrary, the problem is likely a lot closer to home.

Just something to think about.