This article needs to be updated to reflect the changes introduced with the latest version of the Discovery mod.
|This page is currently being developed by one or more editors being led by Space. Please refer to the talk page to learn about and/or contribute to the completion of this page. You can also contact the leader on their discussion page.|
The award-winning Discovery modification was designed as a full-scale expansion pack for Freelancer. It breathes new life into the familiar PC game by adding lots of new features without taking away the atmosphere and balance of the original. Discovery allows players to develop and explore far beyond the reaches of un-modded Freelancer, both in multiplayer and in singleplayer modes. The modification adds 97 new systems, 255 new ships, hundreds of new weapons, equipment and commodities, new factions and NPC encounters, its own storyline, and much more - everything seamlessly integrated into Freelancer universe. View distance limitations, 2 billion player credit limit, and 10 million item price limit are all things of the past for Discovery.
Discovery removes the singleplayer campaign, replacing it with a player-driven narrative, and a continually changing Universe via its regular updates. As such, its focus is primarily on a multiplayer experience, coming with many server-side enhancements by default (typically implemented by FLHook).
Version 4.86 made even more changes than previous Discovery versions. 30 new ship models were added, and all ships have had their hitboxes redone, emphasizing both efficiency and accuracy. 18 new systems were introduced and over 50 new weapons were added.
This includes numerous new commodities, bases and re-imaging of several important systems, such as Newcastle's scale being re-adjusted. The economy in 4.86 has been completely readjusted to form realistic supply chains, making very few (if any) commodities truly useless. NPCs have also been redone, with additions like NPC escorts to traders, better utilization of ship types etc. This goes hand-in-hand with yet more Infocard updates, thousands of new rumors, and other little bits of information for players to enjoy discovering.
4.86 also includes many FLHook plugins, such as Battle Stations and Jump Drives, designed to create a much more dynamic Universe for the player to experience.
- At least 160 new pilotable ships of different classes, including brand new ships, custom ships based on original game models, and ships previously available only for NPCs: Starblazer, CSV, Juni's Defender, advanced versions of House fighters, transports, trains, liners, gunboats, cruisers, destroyers, and battleships.
- Each new ship carefully customized - weapons, shields and equipment balanced, cameras placed where they should be.
- 97 new systems, including:
- 17 fully populated systems - Newcastle, Dundee (Bretonia), Munich (Rheinland), Omega-15, Omega-55 (Border Worlds), Omega-47, Omega-49, Omega-52, Omicron Delta, Omicron Eta (Edge Worlds), Omicron Iota, Omicron-99 (Nomad Worlds), Burgundy, Champagne, Dauphine, Lorraine, and Languedoc (Gallia)
- 30 populated faction systems.
- Arena system (Connecticut).
- Prison system, and many more.
- Numerous new bases both in new and original systems.
- Player credit limit increased to 2 billion; maximum item price increased to 1 billion.
- Unique and simple docking system - large ships can dock everywhere.
- New assignable hotkeys for up/down strafe and selecting sub-targets.
- Evolving storyline about the war between Kusari and Bretonia, the conflict between Liberty and Rheinland, and the pirate war between Corsairs and Outcasts.
- View range increased - you'll see stations, ships, trade lanes from a longer distance.
- Numerous new factions, including 35 Gallic factions, a Freelancer faction, and more.
- Many dozens of balanced new guns and turrets for fighters and capital ships.
- New equipment, including armor upgrades, scanners, thrusters.
- New commodities and trade routes; all ships drop pilots when destroyed.
- Battleship encounters in most populated systems, Nomad battleship encounters in the Unknown systems.
- Battleship killing missions available, all mission rewards increased.
- NPC AI enhanced, NPCs use shield batteries and nanobots.
- Faction IDs available for role-playing purposes. ID item also serves as a tractor beam.
- Serverside options when activating the mod: server administrators can set starting money and reputation, choose character uniform.
- Correct and complete infocards for all new ships, items, and commodities.
- Everything is ready to start your own server: IONCROSS data files included.
- And last, but not least - retained original Freelancer atmosphere and play-style.